Sunday 4 March 2012

Chateau Calon Segur 2000 Tasting

I shared this bottle with some of my colleagues at Moncharm- out of working hours of course!
Against the advice of my father that I should wait a good few years to drink this, I decided to try it as we do have another few bottles of this stored and I thought it would be a good comparison to drink them over the years and see how it evolves in time. We decanted this at around 4pm as this wine is still very much in its youth and needed a chance to open up.

Upon tasting I could tell the wine easily needs five plus years in the bottle as it was very closed up and had a very tannic finish to it. In time this wine will undoubtedly have its chance to shine as there is a very good balance between acidity and tannins. It just needs time. I look forward to drinking it again in the future.
The Calon Segur needs more time in the bottle 

Tasting Notes

Calon Segur 2000 bottle (75cl)

Time Opened: 16.00pm

Time Consumed:20.30pm onwards

Colour: Ruby

Nose: Tobacco, Graphite, Cedar

Comments: “Very very tannic” "Closed Up"





Final Comments:  

Although this sparked much debate among my colleagues at Moncharm, I am a firm believer after drinking this bottle that I should have listened to my father’s advice as I found this bottle to be somewhat of a disappointment drinking it so young but I am also sure that given time this will turn out be an excellent bottle of claret. I would strongly urge anyone considering popping the cork on this third growth St.Estephe to hold off their temptation for at least another five years

No comments:

Post a Comment